Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Father's Day - WTF?

I've been trying to find the right way to review Father's Day.  I've been putting it off because I want to do justice to this film, but at the same time, I don't want to spoil it for anyone.  This movie is definitely best experienced when you don't know what's coming next.  After I completed the packaging review a couple weeks back, I really thought that the next day I would put out a review of the film with no problem.  I say down with my trusty laptop and a Disaronno and Coke and stared at my screen for a good ten minutes.  What the hell?!?

At first I thought it was just writers block.  Happens from time to time.  Sometimes I sit down and the words just flow out like a viscous fluid.....other times I sit down and find that I've got some creative constipation.  This was different though.  I loved the movie.  I loved the packaging.  I loved the soundtrack CD that came as a bonus fourth disc.  So what was the problem?  Why couldn't I just review the damn thing?

I've been waiting to see Father's Day for what seems like forever.....and after several false release dates, (April.....then June....then finally August) I finally got my grubby little mitts on this bad monkey.  There was quite a bit of hype building up to the movie and I was completely caught up in it.  I bought the Astron-6 compilation DVD and watched it about 6 million times.  I still wish that Fireman and Lazer Ghosts 2: Return To Laser Cover were both full length movies....because they were frigging kick ass.....not to mention the surprise film of the set for me:  Cool Guys!  Definitely worth the price of admission alone.










Okay, okay enough about my inability to write a review....and enough about the compilation disc.  Let's get down to brass tacks here.  Father's Day.  An absolutely mind blowingly fantastic Trash-terpiece that is like nothing you have seen before.  If there is something that you find offensive, there's a good chance that you will find it in here.  Lucky for me.....I'm pretty much impossible to offend when it comes to films.



Father's Day looks and feels like an early 80's gore revenge flick.  I don't want to give away too much because I think that experiencing the film without knowing too much is truly the best way to see this film.  So here we go:  A spoiler-free plot synopsis.....

Ahab (Adam Brooks) tracked down and thought he killed psychotic father murderer/rapist Chris Fuchman (Mackenzie Murdock).   Years later the raping/killing starts anew and Ahab joins forces with Father John Sullivan (Matthew Kennedy), a gung-ho priest, Twink (Connor Sweeney) a male prostitute and Chelsea (Amu Groening), Ahab's sister who is now a stripper.  The foursome takes on the evil Fuchman and things go from weird to complete and total batshit crazy real quick.

Scene after scene piles on the blood and boobs as The Father's Day Killer continues his rampage.  The final showdown is quite possibly the most insane final reel I've ever seen!  I wish that I could put it into a coherent sentence and/or paragraph, but the last reel is literally just one big ol' WTF moment!



If you haven't seen it yet, I suggest you get your hands on a copy, invite some friends over and hold onto your butts because it's gonna be a wild ride.  Movies such as this and Hobo With A Shotgun show that when a talented group of filmmakers get together and have a true love for the genre and material they're shooting, it completely blows away anything that the trite Hollywood machine could ever produce.

No GO!  The Fuchmanicus demands it!

No comments:

Post a Comment