Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Monster Brawl - 2012

 MONSTER BRAWL!  OOOOOHHHHH YEAH!  






Okay now I've got that out of my system.  When I first heard about this film, I'll be honest I wasn't too sure what to think.  While the kid in me wanted to shriek with joy at the thought of monsters in a Battle Royale for supremacy,  I was afraid it would end up more like Mega Python vs Gatoroid.  Not that I really have anything against MPvsG....it was....er....amusing.


I'm happy to report that Monster Brawl does it right.  It's like someone took any number of monster mash-up films and combined it with late 80's WrestleMania!  Oh hells yeah!  The film plays out exactly like a pay per view wrestling event, with Dave Foley (of Kids in the Hall fame) and Art Hindle (Ted in Porky's and Porky's II!!!) as announcers Buzz Chambers and Sasquatch Sid Tucker.   Oh yeah and Lance Henriksen even came on board to narrate the beginning of the film!  Jimmy Hart and Herb Dean even make appearances!




The event takes place in an ancient cursed graveyard and is set up in five rounds and two different factions, which are also divided into lightweight and heavyweight.  The contestants are Creatures:  Cyclops, Witch Bitch, Werewolf, and Swamp Gut.  Undead: Frankenstein's Monster, The Mummy, Zombie Man, and Lady Vampire.  It really is a lot of fun to watch the backstory on each monster and then watch them trash talk their competition before the fight.  My thirteen year old self was loving every second of it!



If you love the old Universal monster mashes and old school Wrestlemania, then you owe it to yourself to check out Monster Brawl!  I'm not going to tell you who wins which match and who the ultimate victor is because that's half the fun of the movie!  Cheer for your favorites!  It could happen!



So pour yourself a nice tall glass of grape Kool-Aid and heat up some pizza rolls cause it's gonna be an action packed night of Monster Brawlin'!  

No comments:

Post a Comment