Tuesday, July 29, 2014

New Wave Theater Episode #1

No doubt you've heard me expunge my undying love for all things Night Flight before.  I've reviewed several shorts that debuted on the show and I've waxed nostalgic about the lunacy that unfolded before my eyes every weekend night.  On the off chance that there is someone reading this that is not familiar with my other posts, allow me to recap.  Back in the glorious decade of excess (yes, that's right, the 1980's!) a little cult show called Night Flight popped up on cable TV....the USA Network to be exact.  Now, I don't want to get too far into Night Flight itself just yet, because I think that will make a good retrospective post by itself.....so suffice to say that it was a variety show of sorts.  It was a four hour block that aired everything from music videos, music documentaries, concerts, movies, short films, as well as picking up television shows from other areas and even the occasional original programming.

New Wave Theater, was originally aired on a local Los Angeles UHF station (Channel 18) before being picked up by Night Flight.  New Wave Theater showcased new and upcoming Punk and New Wave bands.  The Dead Kennedys, The Circle Jerks and (my favorite) .45 Grave were all showcased on the program.  The show was hosted by Peter Ivers.  An eccentric yet charming host who would open and close each show with a sort of stream-of-consciousness-poetry type of thing.  Ivers was a local boy, having grown up in Brookline, MA (not that far from my humble home) and was educated at Harvard University.  In 1983, Ivers was found dead in his apartment, having been beaten and bludgeoned to death with a hammer.  His murder remains unsolved to this day.

As awesome as it is that the above mentioned bands (and other well known bands too) were featured on New Wave Theater, I find that it's the other bands that have remain obscure that are the most fascinating.  It is with that in mind that I present to you Episode #1 of New Wave Theater (which I found on YouTube!  Apparently New Wave Theater has their own channel!  Who knew?!)  The performances in this episode are by: X, Ivy Leaguers, Los Dudes, Grey Factor and finally,  Suburban Lawns.  I'll tell ya what....bands just don't come up with names like they used to.  Of particular interest to me in this episode is the band Los Dudes, who perform a song called Frisbee's From Hell.  The song is an art-house/punk fusion track that really captures a raw energy that I find quite infectious.  Once you hear it, you'll find it getting stuck in your head quite often.....which (I think) is a good thing.  I've not been able to find any information on the band....I do have a tenuous lead on Facebook, which I'm currently looking into.

I hope you enjoy New Wave Theater as much as I do.  Until next time......watch out for them Frisbee's From Hell!  Oh they are not from Mattel....THESE Frisbee's are from HELL!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment