Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Nobody's Children - Defending the Undefendable

I'm not going to lie.....sometimes I wonder just what the hell I'm doing with my life.  I wonder why I waste my time with a blog that reviews (mostly) films that most people have never heard of, let alone care about.  I'll also review some more current indie films....or you may see a current summer flick in the folds, but by and large Midnight Cinephile is dedicated to the unloved, the forgotten, the esoteric and the obscure.

If I was smart, I'd review higher profile movies all the time, right?  I'd join the legions of self proclaimed film critics who cut up each new release in a myriad of self righteous reviews designed solely to show how very clever I am.  I'd jump on the band wagon and bash everything that doesn't hold up to my horror elitist standards.  The truth is, I'm not that smart.  I don't consider myself a film critic.  I an a cinema lover and I have a special affinity for trash, low budget and obscure films.

Galaxy Invader!
 
This affinity is not just a cinematic crush, it seems to permeate into every facet of my interests.  Let me give you some examples:

 I'm also a big video game fan.  I've got all the toys....XBOX 360, PS3 and a Wii......I'm eagerly awaiting the next gen console's (haven't gotten around to getting a Wii U yet, but it's on the list of toys to get!).  I've got plenty of games to keep me occupied for all three systems.  What do I find myself playing at night after the wife has gone to bed?   Some obscure game that was never commercially released on my Commodore 64 or ZX Spectrum emulators on my computer.

I can probably count the number of people who have played Mind Control on one hand!

I love to read.  There are a ton of new books coming out all the time by top selling authors all the time.  What do I end up reading?  Pulpy, obscure novels from the 70's and 80's that I've found in a second hand book store, flea market or amazon!  Same thing with comics!  There's TONS of new releases that I should be checking out.....what do I always gravitate towards?  Some weird one off that approximately four other people in the world know about.

Ever read the novelization of Halloween III?  I have!

Think it ends there?  Oh no.....it even spreads over into the food I eat!  Now don't get me wrong.....I love me a nice expensive steak dinner.....but I'm just as happy tossing pizza rolls and store brand soda down my throat!  You see?  DO YOU SEE??????

THE Midnight Cinephile snack of choice!

It is 100% ingrained in my DNA to love the cheap, the esoteric and the obscure.  It is my mission in life to defend them and to sing the praises of these underdogs.  You can have your popular movie fan groups.  You can have your book clubs read the latest and greatest.   E3 has the hottest games to show for the upcoming year?  Great.  You wanna have high class expensive snacks?  That's cool too!  I'm not against any of those things.....but if you're looking to find me......I'll be in the basement, watching Beast of the Yellow Night, playing games on my Commodore 64 and chowing down on store brand cheese balls and grape soda!  There's plenty of room down here with me, so come on down and tell your friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment