Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Fistful of Turkeys - A Turkey Slaying Boardgame

It's been a while since I've covered a boardgame here on Midnight Cinephile, but when I came across this little slice of Thanksgiving weirdness, I just couldn't resist sharing it with you.  Now I don't own this game and I've never played it, but I wanted to share it with you anyway because, much like Thanksgiving themed horror movies, Thanksgiving themed boardgames are hard to come by......let alone Thanksgiving themed boardgames with a macabre twist.  As a matter of fact, this may be the only one!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you.......

A Fistful of Turkeys


The story reads as follows:

Billy hated turkeys.  He hated everything they stood for.  The doctors all said he was crazy, but Billy knew the turkeys were planning to overthrow human society - and he, alone in necessary, would foil their fowl plan;  for now, Billy's hatred had been unleashed.  That's right, Billy had caught . . . TURKEY FEVER!


A Fistful of Turkeys is a hex and counter game (much like many of the war games available).  The goal of the game is for Billy to SPLAT six turkeys in less than ten turns.  Now the game is listed as a two player game.  I'm not sure if that means that one person plays as Billy and the other player controls the turkeys (that would be amazing if that is the case), or if both players are competing to SPLAT six turkeys first (which is still pretty awesome!).  

Let's take a look at the photos I was able to find on Board Game Geek:


This would appear to be the first page of the instructions....which gives the little story and a little blurb about the fictitious designer of the game, Some Turkey.  Heh, heh.  Obviously this whole thing is meant as a parody and was made as a joke.....but hey.....we got a picture of Billy (who looks like Clint Eastwood)  strangling turkeys.....so that's something!





Here's the game board provided.  Interesting.  Looks like there's only one way in or out.....I wonder if turkeys can escape during the game?  Perhaps if there is a TURKEY player, their goal is to sneak away from Billy and escape the Turkey Hatch?  Either way, it's gonna be a gory fight!



And finally, here are some of the counters used in the game.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with boardgames of this sort, a counter functions as your game pieces that you move around the board.  Their movement is determined usually by various stats that will be displayed on the counter or explained in the instructions.  There are various types of counters....some represent the players, others represent obstacles or even items that might help you in the game.  I like the names they gave the turkeys.   Clark Gobble....heh heh heh.....the younger readers might not get that....but trust me....it's funny.


  

Well, that's about it, my friends.  I truly wish that I had a copy of this game to play so I could properly review if for you (plus I just really want to play a game where I get to mercilessly slaughter paper turkeys....) but alas, this is the best I could do.  I hope you've enjoyed taking a look at this wonky and obscure little game.  Sometimes it's fun to step away from the movies for a bit and enjoy the other awesome geekery that life provides!

No comments:

Post a Comment