Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Thing Prequel Movie Poster

A poster for the upcoming prequel of The Thing has been released....and it's about damn time!  The Thing is scheduled to be released on October 14th, and we've yet to see a trailer for it.....but at least we've got a poster! I'm actually pretty excited about this prequel.  I've always wondered exactly what happened to the Norwegian research team that MacReady and Copper found dead at their camp.  I hope this film's events take place directly before the 1982 film.

Anywhoo....without further adieu I give you the first poster for The Ting 2011:



I like it!  I like the hand with the elongated fingers.....I like the simplicity of the design.  There's a bit of a quiet nod to the 1982 film poster...the hooded figure with the obscured face.  I also think that the tag line is amazing!  It's Not Human.  Yet.  That is great!

Check out the 1982 poster:



And what the hell, for reference, he's the poster for the 1951 film The Thing From Another World:


There you have it!

You know, I can't believe that I'm going to say this but I think that the new film's poster and the '82 film poster are pretty close in awesomeness......and I REALLY can't believe that I'm saying this, but I think that I might actually like the new poster a little more.  The fingers, man.  Those awesome elongated, alien fingers really make that poster awesome for me.  On the other hand, the light emanating from the hood of the figure on the '82 cover is pretty bad ass too.

Okay, you know what....I'm going to leave it as a tie....because they are both just so friggin awesome.  The '51 poster is absolute crap.  Sure I get it that you don't want to reveal the creature (which in the '51 film turned out to be like a walking vegetable man) but I mean come on!  Couldn't they have come up with something a little better than some screaming characters on a green background??

Of course these films are based on the classic sci fi novella of paranoia and alien bad-assed-ness, Who Goes There?  By John W. Campbell:



Now THAT"s a whacked out alien!

No comments:

Post a Comment