Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fever Dreams and Bouts of Insanity

Oh man.  I have been ill.  Now, when I say ill, I don't mean a case of the sniffles and a bit of a cough......I mean.....ILL!  Holy Kryptonite Batman!  After getting home from work on Thursday evening at about 9:30, I promptly passed out.  I woke up Friday at about noon, called work to inform them that there was no way in hell I was going to make it in that night, downed half a bottle of NyQuil and again fell into the sweet void of unconsciousness until my wife got home at about 7 with some groceries, as well as a humidifier and more medicine for me.  I ate my dinner and was out like a light again until about 11am Saturday.  I managed to stay awake for like 4 hours on Saturday before going in and out.  That's when the sweats and the chills started.  One minute I was under 30 pounds of blankets with a portable radiator next to me, unable to stop shivering....next minute I was sweating and thought about jumping naked into the snow.....which trust me, no one would have wanted to see.  As I tossed and turned, my body flipping between extremes of heat and cold, something happened to my brain.  I blame the fever.  I started the think irrationally.  At one point, whilst sweating like it was my job, I found myself standing in front of the bathroom mirror, wetting my lips with water from the faucet.  As I stared into the sunken eyes looking back at me, I remember thinking:

 "This is exactly how it started for Jeff Goldblum in The Fly.  OH MY GOD!  I'M GONNA MUTATE!" 

I wish that I was just making that part up to try and be funny.  Unfortunately, that actually happened.  Not my proudest moment to be sure.  After realizing that I wasn't going to be regurgitating on my donuts anytime soon, I shuffled back to bed where I started to have what can only be described as "Thought Dreams"  I wish there was a better way to describe them, but there really isn't.  No visuals.  No audio.  Just.....thoughts.  Ideas....abstract ideas.  Thankfully I made it through the night and managed to get myself vertical for more than five minutes today!  Still feel like a can of smashed assholes, but I'm slowly getting better!

No comments:

Post a Comment